In our prior blog post: To Toke Up Pure Bless- Cannabis Concentrates we defined just what cannabis concentrates are, how they’re extracted, and a brief rundown of the 7 most common types of concentrates and how to get the most out of your experience. In this post we’re going to define the most common tools utilized to dabble in dabs and give you a general idea of how to use them. We want you to experience the best high possible and there’s a few ways to go about that- dabbing or vaping. Let’s take a deeper dive into dabbing first, and provide a general overview of what a dab-kit looks like, and what exactly it contains.
Do-Do-A-Dabble of Dabs (Admit It, You Sung That, Too…)
What exactly IS dabbing? Well, the term defines the process of heating up cannabis concentrate to a point it begins to melt, omitting a cloud of vapor that you then want to inhale! This is performed in a dab rig, which kinda resembles a water bong. While water is generally used, it is optional! We’re going to break down the various components of a dab rig and what each is used for.
The first thing you’re going to notice is the “nail” which sits on top of the bowl; this is where the concentrates are gunna go! These can be made from a variety of materials such as: glass, titanium, or even quartz but, your primary concern is making sure the nail is the correct size for your rig. You can purchase these separately from the rig itself.
Next is the “dome” which will keep your concentration isolated in one place. Inside of the bowl itself you’ll notice what’s called a “recycler” which allows for the water and smoke to flow freely. You are going to need a couple of tools in addition to the dab rig to make this entire process possible. One of those tools is a dabber, which is a ceramic, metal, or glass piece allowing you to place the concentrate on top of the nail while it’s hot. Speaking of hot, you’re gunna need a heat source – the best one for this is going to be a torch! While some dab rigs are flameless, they can be quite expensive! Investing in a small torch is a good way to go.
Now that we’ve given a general overview of what dabbing is, how it’s done, and the different components that make this all possible, we’re going to take a look at a more portable, modernized version of dabbing: vape pens!
What is Vaping?
Vaping refers to the use of an electronic device to heat the cannabis concentrate to the point it forms into a vapor that you inhale. Vape pens are new, portable devices that make it super efficient for users to enjoy on the go! Each cartridge is usually labeled so you know exactly what you’re consuming, also. In addition to the vape pens, there are table top rigs that offer the same great experience. The cannabis concentrate is placed in a chamber where it’s heated to temp and the user inhales the vapor through a mouthpiece.
Now that we’ve explored the art of both dabbing and vaping, let’s paint a collective portrait of both to explore which one might be the best option for you.
To Dape or to Vape? That is The Question
Alright, so we’ve got a good baseline here. The question remains: to dab or vape? It honestly depends on your personal preference – there’s a lot of pros to both! We’re gunna hash this one out together!
The Pros of Vaping
- Accessibility: Vape pens are portable so you can pretty much take them anywhere! Be mindful of smoking restrictions, however; they DO apply to vape products!
- Insta-high: Users have reported the immediate onset of effects, though this will vary for everyone!
- Incognito: You have complete discretion with the use of vape pens; they often look like any other disposable vape device. Even the vape cartridges that you utilize with some sort of pen/adapter, look very generic!
The Pros of Dabbing
- Customizable: Using a dab-rig, you have the ability to choose your type of concentrate; these can vary from budder to shatter, or even live resin! Users love the full-spect customizability to really shake up their high. (Personally, this is my favorite way to go!)
- Potency: Cannabis concentrates pack a powerful punch in terms of potency. Some will vary between 50-90% THC. Dabbing allows the user more options in explorability so you can control your high’s intensity.
Either way you decide to go, it’s a safe bet you’re gunna enjoy your toke. Even though dabbing and vaping are two of the most well known methods of cannabis concentrate consumption, they’re by no means the only 2 options! Cannabis concentrates also come in the forms of topicals, edibles, and many other products! To get the best out of your high, go out there and give both a try! Experimentation is the best way to discover what works well for you!